What does it mean to be “Hawaiian”. Terrorist Anton Hesse, questions McGarrett in the Pilot, “Funny, you don’t look Hawaiian…” which is an assumption that many people make. Specifically, one from Hawaii is indeed Hawaiian by virtue of where they are from, but *not* by virtue of ethnicity. The Hawaiian people were indigenous to these islands, but their numbers have slowly decreased due to the introduction of western diseases, and the intermingling of various ethnic populations. These are the Kānaka maoli, who are ethnically Hawaiian. Chin Ho has mentioned Kamaʻāina, which literally means “child of the land”, and has come to mean anyone else born and raised in Hawaii, or a long time resident, but not necessarily ethnic Hawaiians. And as we all know, haole means “foreigner”, or specifically a white person. A very small minority of people will argue that the word is derogatory, but the general population will disagree.
- @Skippy9474 lol I crawled out of the cave to hiss at the sun! 1 year ago
- The world's first earpiece translator is coming, and I'm on the waitlist! Check it out! @waverlylabsinc gleam.io/JSaFH/email-re… #hearables 1 year ago
- @PLenkov congrats, my friend! hawaiinewsnow.com/story/31566870… 1 year ago
- @JanetJackson 's hair, make up and creative director all from #hawaii!!! #represent 1 year ago
- #UnbreakableHawaii - @JanetJackson 's greatest hits of the 80s, 90s, and today. Freaking awesome! 1 year ago
Top Posts & Pages